I was furiously taking pictures inside our rented tricycle as it was raining when we cruised by Pagnamitan Bridge, the bridge connecting mainland Guiuan to Calicoan Island. Tito Ruby noticed this and told me that when we get back, we will request the tricycle driver to stop so I can walk across the bridge. Lcuky when we came back the rain had stopped. Phew! As if I was not contented with my walk across San Juanico Bridge, I walked across a bridge again.
More than the scenery, what I saw when we passed the bridge was life and culture.
Boats are raised to a wooden platform that it may not be washed away during high tide and the boat’s hull would not scratch the bottom during low tide.
Children playing against the current.
Picnic below the bridge and the mangroves.
I wish we had more time that I could try having a picnic on the mangroves but we were lacking time. Hopefully, next time I get there I would be able to do this.
If you’re going to have a picnic there, please bring all your trash with you and throw them at proper waste disposals. Let’s keep the Philippines clean and green.
How did we get there
We rented a tricycle in Guiuan Transport Terminal for 350 Pesos for a fast trip around Guiuan Airport, Dumpao Beach and Calicoan Island which took us 3 hours. Initially the tricycle driver offered us 500 Pesos for the whole trip, but my uncle and his super bargaining abilities got it down to 350 Pesos. I gave the tricycle driver 50 Pesos tip since he really did a good job touring us.
How to get there
Ride a multicab going to Sulangan from Guiuan Transport Terminal. The multicab will be passing by the bridge. I’m not sure how much is the fare, but for sure it is less than 30 pesos/person. Travel Time should be around 20 to 25 minutes. You can also get to the Beaches of Calicoan Island riding the same multicab.
- Getting Around Guiuan (Guiuan Travel Guide)
- Bridge to Calicoan Island
- Beaches of Calicoan Island (Awesome!)
- Dumpao Beach Resort
- Airport Town of Guiuan
- Parish Church of the Immaculate Concepcion
- Guiuan Transport Terminal
- Hagnaya Beach in Salcedo (Awesome!)
- Divinubo Island Eco Tour Park
- Minasangay Island Marine Ecological Park & Resort
- Weaving around Basey, Samar
- 40 Minute Walk Across San Juanico Bridge (Must try!)
- Santo NiÃ±o Shrine (Romualdez Museum) at Tacloban City
- Visiting Leyte Landing Memorial Park