After a long day touring around the American Airport, Dumpao Beach and the different beaches of Calicoan Island, Tito Ruby and I decided that we should visit the 16th Century Church in Guiuan. The name of the church is Parish Church of the Immaculate Conception.
What’s amazing with this church is that it was maintained up until now. That’s 400 years of maintenance! The church features different carved icons in a Spanish-Baroque inside and a huge chiseled door.
Most of the deterioration of the church can be seen at the Bell Tower where there are still debris inside. According to the Guiuan brochure provided by the Department of Tourism Region 8, two-thirds of the height of the bell tower was destroyed due to earthquakes many years ago.
Would I recommend travellers to visit the 16th century church in Guiuan, Eastern Samar? Definitely! Since it’s just walking distance from the Tourism Office or the Transport Terminal, you can visit there even when you only have a short time.
How to get there
You can also ride a tricycle or a pedicab when you think that the church is too far. Tricycle fare is 7 Pesos/person. No idea on how much the pedicab is.
- Getting Around Guiuan (Guiuan Travel Guide)
- Bridge to Calicoan Island
- Beaches of Calicoan Island (Awesome!)
- Dumpao Beach Resort
- Airport Town of Guiuan
- Parish Church of the Immaculate Concepcion
- Guiuan Transport Terminal
- Hagnaya Beach in Salcedo (Awesome!)
- Divinubo Island Eco Tour Park
- Minasangay Island Marine Ecological Park & Resort
- Weaving around Basey, Samar
- 40 Minute Walk Across San Juanico Bridge (Must try!)
- Santo NiÃ±o Shrine (Romualdez Museum) at Tacloban City
- Visiting Leyte Landing Memorial Park