When I saw the brochure of Guiuan, Eastern Samar one of the highlights there was the American Airport that was built during World War II.
But during my trip to the airport Uncle Ruby was explaining to me that there were actually two (2) runways built by the American Liberation Forces and the other runway was actually where were cruising along.
I quickly observed the surrounding and asked the question
Why in the world would there be 50 meter wide highway in such a small town?
Wide enough for people to build houses in the middle of the highway and still have enough room for traffic.
Wide enough for people to excavate the road and plant coconut trees and still have enough room for vehicles.
Wide enough for people to dry their copra in the middle of the road and still have enough room for trucks to pass through.
The answer was what my uncle told me. The road was formerly the other runway that was not maintained and people started leaving on it when the Americans left the base.
How did we get there
We rented a tricycle in Guiuan Transport Terminal for 350 Pesos for a fast trip around Guiuan Airport, Dumpao Beach and Calicoan Island which took us 3 hours. Initially the tricycle driver offered us 500 Pesos for the whole trip, but my uncle and his super bargaining abilities got it down to 350 Pesos. I gave the tricycle driver 50 Pesos tip since he really did a good job touring us.
Since there’s a town there, I’m sure there is public transportation going to the airport, but I did not get the details. I’ll update the details when I get back to Guiuan.
P. S. The brochure picture of the American Airport (1st picture) has the two (2) runways of Guiuan Airport.
Follow my Tacloban-Basey-Eastern Samar Series by checking the links below
- Getting Around Guiuan (Guiuan Travel Guide)
- Bridge to Calicoan Island
- Beaches of Calicoan Island (Awesome!)
- Dumpao Beach Resort
- Airport Town of Guiuan
- Parish Church of the Immaculate Concepcion
- Guiuan Transport Terminal
Other Eastern Samar Destinations
- Hagnaya Beach in Salcedo (Awesome!)
- Divinubo Island Eco Tour Park
- Minasangay Island Marine Ecological Park & Resort
Basey, Samar and Tacloban City, Leyte Destinations
- Weaving around Basey, Samar
- 40 Minute Walk Across San Juanico Bridge (Must try!)
- Santo NiÃ±o Shrine (Romualdez Museum) at Tacloban City
- Visiting Leyte Landing Memorial Park