We took a packaged tour to Underground River last October of 2010 but somehow the backpacker inside me was saying that it is best to stay in Sabang than just be controlled by the packaged tours that will take you there for a day just to see the famous Subterranean River. So my brother and I visited Sabang again lastÂ weekend to see how awesome it really is.
Below is my personal list of what you should do when you are in the town of Sabang in Puerto Princesa, Palawan.
1. Visit the Majestic Underground River
At my visit there last October of 2010, I was really amazed when we got inside the Underground River. There were a lot of cool stone formations and birds and bats that I can only feel but not see because of the low light inside the cave. There’s also the guides of the Underground River that will paddle you in and out of the cave while telling you different interesting and funny facts about the cave.
2. Take a tour in the Mangrove Forest
Learn why a Mangrove Forest is important by taking the paddle boat tour at the eastern end of town. Best to go there during low tide as you will see many animals that depend on the mangrove for survival and if you’re the daring type you can ask your tour guide to get you a fresh-from-the-wood tamilok that you may eat it.
3. Dip in Sabang Falls
Ever heard of a waterfall facing the sea? That’s the shortest way that I could describe Sabang Falls but there’s more to it than just a falls, it’s actually where the people of Sabang get their water. But you can take a dip at the basin below because the water collection happens at one of the top basins of the falls.
Visit my Sabang Falls post. Click here.
4. Climb the Ugong Rock Cave
Usually when I enter caves we were headed down but on Ugong Rock Cave it’s actually the opposite as you will be climbing to the top of the cave. If you’re tired when you reach the top then you can head down with the use of a zipline. Weeee!
5. View the Daylight Hole Cave
The locals described it to me as a cave that is best visited during the early sunrise as you will see better why it called Daylight Hole Cave. Unfortunately, we lacked time to visit the cave. A good reason why I should go back.
6. Take a picture in front of Lions Cave
The guide describes it to me as a cave with the entrance that looks like the face of a tiger. We passed by this when we were in the van going to and from Sabang. Unfortunately, the van was going fast I was not able to take a picture of it.
7. Fly via Sabang Zipline
If you have not had enough of the zipline craze all over the Philippines you may want to try the Sabang Zipline for only 550 Pesos. You have to trek a little bit at the monkey trail to get to the start of the zipline. The zipline is 800 meters long that will start at an elevated portion of the monkey trail and will end in an island near the town of Sabang. Approximate flying time is 1 minute and 30 seconds.
For more information about the Sabang Zipline you may call their booking office at (048) 723-3401 or 0947-762-1613.
8. Get splashed on the waves
I think Sabang has waves that are conducive for surfing. Anyways, only a few resorts offer surfboard rental but if you don’t afford to have one let it not hinder you from having fun getting splashed by the waves.
9. Just simply walk or sit on Sabang Beach
Sabang has a long stretch of fine light-brown beach that is conducive for just sitting down and watching other people get surprised by how big the waves are.
Definitely, Sabang is more than just the Underground Cave.
This post is a part of my 12 for 2012 Travel Project that aims to document places in the Philippines that will help travellers to plan their trips easier.
Follow my Puerto Princesa Series
- Cheaper Way to Tour Puerto Princesa, Palawan (Helpful)
- Environmental Enforcement Museum (Must Visit!)
- Iwahig Firefly Watching (Must Try!)
- Badjao Seafront Restaurant (Food)
- Kalui Restaurant (Food)
- Kinabuchs Grill and Bar (Food)
- Noki Nocs (Food)
- Puerto Princesa Do-It-Yourself 4D3N Budget and Itinerary (Helpful)
- Puerto Princesa, Palawan 3D2N Budget and Itinerary (Helpful)
Follow my Sabang Port, Puerto Princesa Series
- 9 Things to Do at Sabang in Puerto Princesa (Overview)
- Puerto Princesa Underground River Do-It-Yourself Travel Guide (Helpful)
- How to get an Entry Permit to the Underground River in Puerto Princesa (Helpful)
- How to get to Sabang, Puerto Princesa (Helpful)
- Lodgings in Sabang, Puerto Princesa, Palawan (Helpful)
- Sabang Waterfalls
- Mangrove Paddle Boat Tour
- Food Tripping in Sabang
- Ugong Rock Caving