- Registering at the Tourist Information Center
- Going to the Underground River Entrance
- Paddle Boat Tour inside the Underground River
- Get a Visitor Entry Permit to the Underground River.
- Go to Sabang Port at Brgy. Cabayugan, Puerto Princesa.
- Register at the Sabang Port Tourist Information Center.
- Get to the entrance of the Underground River for the start of the Paddle Boat Tour.
- Do the Paddle Boat Tour inside the Underground River.
Since I’ve done a post on the first 2 items (click on them to get to the post) I’ll discuss the steps 3 and 4.
When you arrive at Sabang Port at Brgy. Cabayugan, go to the Tourist Information Center and register to let them know that you have arrived for your scheduled Underground River Paddle Boat Tour.
You must register at least an hour before your tour.
Do not forget to bring a valid ID when you register as this is required.
There are 2 ways for you to get to the Underground River Entrance and that is
This is the easiest way to get to the Underground River Entrance. You’ll just ride a boat from Sabang Port up to the beach near the entrance, then a little walk to until you reach the paddle boats at the entrance of the Underground River. They will also wait for you until your paddle boat tour ends.
To arrange your round-trip pumpboat, during your registration at the Tourist Information Center tell the officer there that you will be riding the pumpboat to the Underground River Entrance. The officer will then arrange your boat and you will wait at the port until your name is called.
The boat ride will take about 15 minutes (one-way) on good weather to reach the beach to the Underground River and the walk to where the paddle boats are may take 10 to 15 minutes depending on how picture addict your group is.
When you ride the boat wear clothes that are ready to be wet as the transit to and from the beach near the Underground River may have strong waves. Life vests are provided.
The rates of the boats are
The cheapest way to the Underground River is to trek that Monkey Trail until you reach the entrance to the river.
The total distance that you will be trekking is 5.3 kms and may take up to 2 hours at slow pace.
After the Paddle Boat Tour, you’ll have to trek back on the Monkey Trail again.
- Before you reach the monkey trail you will first arrive at the jumpoff for the Mangrove Paddle Boat Tour, you will need to ask their assistance to cross a small river to the Monkey Trial. A little donation would not hurt.
- Never bring plastics that can be seen by the monkeys on the trail. They attack automatically at people with plastics to get the plastics because they think that is food. It is best to bring a bag that is securely fastened to you.
- Don’t forget to bring water and small snack.
- There are trail signs that will not make you lost inside the trails but if you are not confident you can hire a guide at the Tourist Information Center. The guide could costs 500 to 700 Pesos.
What if I did the Monkey Trail and after the Paddle Boat Tour I do not want to do it again?
You can ask the people that handles the paddle boat tours to radio to the Tourist Information Center and send a boat to the beach near the Underground River. The cost of the boat would be 600 Pesos for 6 pax.
When you reach the paddle boats at the entrance of the Underground River, you have to register again, simply ride the Paddle Boat and enjoy your tour inside while laughing at the crazy jokes of the tour guide.
I highly advise that the people in the front of the paddle boat be attentive to the instructions of the tour guide as they will be the one pointing the light on the different spots of the Underground River. My brother experienced having 2 lovers in front of the paddle boat and they just flirted with each other the whole tour! and they only pointed the spotlight on whatever they desire.
The Paddle Boat Tour inside takes about 45 minutes. Life vests are provided.
I hope this post helps for you to plan your visit to the Puerto Princesa Subterranean River.
This post is part of my 12 for 2012 Travel Project which aims to document places in the Philippines to help travellers.
Follow my Sabang, Puerto Princesa Series
- 9 Things to Do at Sabang in Puerto Princesa (Overview)
- Puerto Princesa Underground River Do-It-Yourself Travel Guide (Helpful)
- How to get an Entry Permit to the Underground River in Puerto Princesa (Helpful)
- How to get to Sabang, Puerto Princesa (Helpful)
- Lodgings in Sabang, Puerto Princesa, Palawan (Helpful)
- Sabang Waterfalls
- Mangrove Paddle Boat Tour
- Food Tripping in Sabang
- Ugong Rock Caving
Other Puerto Princesa posts that you may find helpful
- Cheaper Way to Tour Puerto Princesa, Palawan (Helpful)
- Puerto Princesa Do-It-Yourself 4D3N Budget and Itinerary (Helpful)
- Puerto Princesa, Palawan 3D2N Budget and Itinerary (Helpful)
- Loid Vegetarian and Raw Food Resto (Must Try!)
- Badjao Seafront Restaurant (Food)
- Kalui Restaurant (Food)
- Kinabuchs Grill and Bar (Food)
- Noki Nocs (Food)