It has been 2 straight nights that I had my dinner from the same stall in El Nido, Palawan. The name of the stall was Bald Guy Grill. Located at the intersection of Abdulla Street and Calle Hama, near Squidos and El Nido Puro, this small stall specializes in one thing, Big Hungarian Sausage Sandwich. Emphasis on the Big since one order is already enough for a dinner for me.
I discovered this stall because I always order from the fruit shake stand behind it. I noticed the stall and decided to try it since I was alone and not in the mood for dining inside a restaurant or a cafeteria.
As the name implies, there was a bald guy inside the stall. I approached him and asked what he would recommend for someone who has never had a Hungarian Sausage Sandwich before and he told me to try the Classic.
Classic (150 Pesos/order)
I agreed with availing the Classic Big Hungarian Sausage Sandwich. He took a Hungarian Sausage and grilled it. Then prepared the bread and placed it on a small paper plate. Then he took the fried sausage and placed it on the bun and added fried onions on it. Then added ketchup and mustard.
I paid and took my first bite and it was yummy. Enough amount of each element so that the flavors does mix well. I would highly recommend trying the Classic.
Unfortunately, I was only walking around El Nido without my camera when I tried the Classic Hungarian Sausage Sandwich. I’ll be going back to El Nido next week so I would be able to take a picture of the Classic.
Slawdog (170 Pesos/order)
The next day I went back to try the other item on the menu, the Slawdog. The Bald Guy grilled a Hungarian Sausage again and set it on the bread, then he took his homemade coleslaw and added it on top of the sausage. Then added caramelized onions.
The Slawdog was great too. It was big and it was yummy. Though maybe I would prefer it to have a ketchup and mustard. Next time I try it I’ll request for the Slawdog to have ketchup and mustard.
For now, I like the Classic more than the Slawdog.
In front of the stall says Big Hungarian Sausage. I’m not sure how big is the biggest Hungarian Sausage in the world is but so far the size of the whole Hungarian Sausage Sandwich was big enough for this to be a dinner for me. Do take note that I am a big guy with big amount of food requirement.
Sorry about the picture above. I realized that I should show how big the sandwich is compared to my hand when I was half-way through it. I’ll try to take a picture of the whole Hungarian Sausage Sandwich with my hand on my next visit to El Nido.
Update April 25, 2016: Finally back in El Nido and took a picture of a complete Hungarian Sausage Sandwich.
- 150 Pesos/order – Classic
- 170 Pesos/order – Slawdog
You might think it’s quite expensive but personally I find it a good quality food for the right price.
The Bald Guy told me that he’s open from 4PM up to around 9PM.
I needed to ask this since I had to make sure that when I come back the next day there was enough ambient light for me to take good pictures of the Hungarian Sausage Sandwich and his stall.
I would recommend that you head to Bald Guy Grill right after your Island Hopping Tour which also finishes around 4PM. Since you are still tired from the activity your body would digest the Big Hungarian Sausage Sandwich quickly and after you get a shower and some rest you would have some room for another dinner.
The Bald Guy
Another interesting thing about this stall was the guy manning the stall himself. He was friendly and would also recommend places on where to go and what to do. He even recommended a restaurant that I have never tried before.
Would I recommend it?
Yes! The food is good, the bald guy is nice and friendly plus he’s a foodie and traveler too, he can definitely recommend things to do and places to eat in El Nido.
Just be patient since only when you order does he grill the sausage.
Follow my El Nido, Palawan Series
- My Top Things To Do in El Nido (Summary)
- How much did I spend on my 4th time in El Nido (4th Visit Expense Report)
- My El Nido, Palawan Budget (1st Visit Expense Report)
- El Nido Island Hopping Combination Tour A and C (Helpful)
- El Nido Island Hopping Tour A (2011 Visit)
- El Nido Island Hopping Tour A (2014 Visit)
- El Nido Island Hopping Tour B (2012)
- El Nido Island Hopping Tour B (2016)
- El Nido Island Hopping Tour C
- Nacpan and Calitang Twin Beach (Must Visit)
- El Nido Canopy Walk
- El Nido Zipline
- Sunset at Maremegmeg Beach (Must Visit)
- Mangrove Eco Park (Must Visit)
- Yaposan Beach
- Sunset at Corong-Corong Beach (Must See)
- Malugao Beach
- El Nido, Palawan 5D4N Budget and Itinerary (Helpful)
- Sea Cocoon Hotel (Quality Hotel)
- Agape Transient House (House for rent. Ideal for Big Groups)
- Tay Miloy's Inn (Cheap Accommodation)
- Gawad Kalinga Lodge & Restaurant (Beach front)
- Jack's Place (Nacpan Beach)
- Where to Stay in El Nido, Palawan
- Mezzanine Restobar
- Bald Guy Grill: Big Hungarian Sausage Sandwich
- Odessa Mama Street Cafe: Ukrainian Kitchen
- Daytripper Palawan: Puerto Princesa to El Nido (Recommended)
- Cherry Bus
- RORO Bus
- Palawan Lexus Shuttle Service (Vans)
- Eulen Joy (Vans)
- Boats from El Nido to Coron and Vice Versa