Many of the rice terraces of Hungduan, Ifugao are one of the best I have seen around the Cordilleras.
Just seeing is really not enough. Experience Hungduan Rice Terraces up close and personal.
Imagine waking up in a native house in the middle of Hapao Rice Terraces
An hour hike from the road in Hapao one can enjoy and relax in the Hot Springs of Bogyah.
If the hots springs is not for you then just walk on some rocks for about 25 meters and you can now dip and play in the cold waters of Hapao River.
If you think the view of the Rice Terraces from the view points are limiting, then you should definitely try seeing the unobstructed view the rice terraces from the top of a moving jeepney.
Just a 20 minute trek from Sitio Balentimol you will be able to see and feel the cool breeze created by Balentimol Falls. But don’t limit your experience to just seeing it. Jump in and enjoy.
I thought it was just an ordinary Ifugao native house. The intricate carvings and wild birds making mud nests says otherwise.
Each barangay of Hungduan created one native house in the Heritage Village. The place is quiet and very conducive for quality conversations. But the best time to visit the Heritage Village is on the third week of April where they held their Tungoh Ad Hungduan Festival. On that time the native houses will be filled with people dancing, carving, drinking and doing what natives do.
I am already rich from experience from the first 9 things to do in Hungduan but I need to buy something for my family and friends, especially to my mother. Good quality weaving, carvings and knives can be bought at the Hungduan Weaving Center. You can also personally see how they make the weavings there.
Let’s make an effort to preserve Hungduan, Ifugao as enchanting as I have experienced it.
- Keep your trash and throw it on proper disposal bins.
- Respect the locals.
- Keep the noise low as not to disturb locals and other travellers.
- Be mindful of others.
- Do not vandalize.
- And most of all, be contented with the simple life they have. What happens in the city should stay in the city.
- To trip organizers, whether personal or professional, you are responsible to educate the people you are with about responsible travelling and encourage them to practice it before going to any destination.
Let us not change Hungduan, let it change us.
This post is part of my 12 for 2012 Travel Project that aims to create travel guides to help travellers go around the Philippines.
Follow my Hungduan, Ifugao series
- 10 Things to do in Hungduan, Ifugao (overview)
- Hungduan, Ifugao Budget and Itinerary (helpful)
- How much did I spend on my trip to Hungduan, Ifugao
- How to get to Hungduan, Ifugao (helpful)
- Where to stay in Hungduan, Ifugao (helpful)
- Hungduan Rice Terraces
- Bogyah Hot Spings
- Hapao Rice Terraces
- Balentimol Falls
- Native House in Sitio Awa