I love Samar! They have lots of Eco Tourism Parks like Minasangay Island and Divinubo Island Eco Tour Park.
Divinubo Island is located near Borongan, Eastern Samar and the jump-off point for the public boats are at Lalawigan. The Eco Tour Park is managed by the Community-Based Resource Management (CBRM) Program and was a way for the baranggay to sustain the natural beauty and biodiversity of the place at the same time earn a little income.
Is the island worth going? YES! Better if you spend the night there with your hammock. If you get there around 4PM you may be able to see the sunset with the view of mainland Samar.
Why go there late in the afternoon, when you can come earlier and go to the lighthouse/parola that has a magnificent view of the Pacific Ocean? To get to the lighthouse you can hire a tour guide to guide you or you can ask the locals for free. It’s approximately a 20 minute walk through town, up the stairs and through coconut plantations. It’s a little tricky when you get to the coconut plantations and there’s only a few people around so best if you hire a guide.
If you do a little bit of exploring you may find this big rock that somehow resembles a cave.
During the trip to Divinubo Island I notice that there were a lot of small white sand islands nearby. I asked if we could rent a small bangka to get to the small islands. There were a lot small bangkas parked at the beach but unfortunately, there were no bangkeros. I tried asking the CBRM but they did not know either if there are available bangkas to take me there. I guess this is a room for improvement in the place.
If you’re coming from Tacloban City, Leyte go to the Van-van or Duptours terminal and ride their van headed to Borongan. Tell the driver to drop you off at Lalawigan where the boats to Divinubo Island are located. Travel Time is approximately 3 hours and 20 minutes and Fare is 190 pesos/person. First Trip is 5AM and Last trip 5:30PM everyday. Van Leaves every 30 minutes.
If you’re coming from Guiuan, Eastern Samar go to the central transport terminal and ride the jeepÂ headed to Borongan and tell the driver to drop you off at the same location as above. Travel Time is approximately 3 hours and Fare is 120 pesos/person. First trip is 7AM and Last trip at 2PM everyday. Once the jeep is almost full it leaves.
If you’re coming from Borongan, Eastern Samar ask around where the multicab to Balangkayan or Llorente are. Ride the multicab and tell the driver the same as above. Travel Time is approximately 10-15 minutes and Fare is 10 pesos/person. First trip is at 6AM and Last trip is around 5PM everyday. Once the multicab is full it will leave.
If you’re coming from Minasangay Island at Balangkayan, Eastern Samar wait for a Multicab at the waiting shed. Ride the multicab and tell the drive the same as above. Travel Time is approximately 30 minutes and Fare is 20 pesos/person. Available from 6AM to 5PM everyday.
When you’re at Lalawigan, it would only take about a 150 meter walk to the beach where the public boats to Divinubo Island are. Ask around to know where the beach is.
Wait for a public boat to arrive and take you to Divinubo Island. You may have to wait for a while, especially on the time window of 9AM to 3PM since they need to have the boats full before they leave. Travel Time is Fare is 20 minutes and Fare is 15 pesos/person. First trip of the boat would around 6AM and Last trip is at 5PM. The boat going back has the same schedule as the ones getting to the island.
Arriving at Divinubo Island, you can ask a local where the Eco Tour Park is or just follow the signs. The walk is about 100 meters.
If you do not want to wait for a boat you can hire boats to take you to the island. Below are their numbers. Sorry, I was not able to get the price for bangka rental.
Emmalyn – 0907-557-4157
Jonalyn – 0908-316-1460
Hector – 0930-688-3641
Darlyn – 0948-275-1182
- Sari-sari stores are located in the island. Only a small bit expensive than the ones in mainland Samar due to the additional transportation costs of the bangkas.
- Divinubo Island Eco Park Fees
5 Pesos/person – Entrance Fee
50 Pesos – Banig Rental
The island tour guide could guide you to the lighthouse and how to go down to beach facing the Pacific Ocean.
- There’s an available videoke. Away from the cottages which is a good thing and the volume is minimized after 10PM. 5 Pesos per song.
- Divinubo Island Eco Park Contact Number 0949-392-7060 / 0949-597-2974 / 0917-603-2440 / 0907-926-7714 / 0918-660-7706
- Best to bring a hamok when going to Divinubo Island Eco Tour Park. There are many Talisay trees where you could tie your hammock.
- There are many people during the weekdays.
- Since Divinubo Island is an Eco-Tourist location there are stict rules in place.
- There’s a comfort room in the Eco Tour Park and a poso.
- There are no lifeguard on duty so should you decide to swim have someone with you.
For more pictures of Divinubo Island and Eastern Samar visit the Facebook Album http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.283604481664217.76392.163149910376342&type=3
Follow my Tacloban-Basey-Eastern Samar Series by checking the links below
Eastern Samar Destinations
- Hagnaya Beach in Salcedo (Awesome!)
- Divinubo Island Eco Tour Park
- Minasangay Island Marine Ecological Park & Resort
Guiuan, Eastern Samar Subseries
- Getting Around Guiuan (Guiuan Travel Guide)
- Bridge to Calicoan Island
- Beaches of Calicoan Island (Awesome!)
- Dumpao Beach Resort
- Airport Town of Guiuan
- Parish Church of the Immaculate Concepcion
- Guiuan Transport Terminal
Basey, Samar and Tacloban City, Leyte Destinations