Believe it or not, we stayed in a 55 Pesos/person/night dormitory type lodge inside the Public Market compound of Poblacion of San Vicente, Palawan.
It was a humble dormitory room inside the compound of their public market with only a banig (mat) and a pillow as bedding. For someone like me who’s more comfortable sleeping on a hard bed than the really soft ones this place is a sweet dream come true. It’s the cheapest I have seen in the country.
There are no lockers, so you must bring your stuff with you always, especially the important ones.
The bathroom are located outside and you’ll be sharing it with other people inside the market.
There’s also a time limit on how long you should stay outside the Public Market premises as they close the market compound gates at 10PM.
The room for men and women are separated.
Would I recommend travelers to stay in the Public Market Dormitory? Not really. Though it is open for anyone, the reason why this dormitory type of lodging is made is for the residents of San Vicente who got stranded in Poblacion. But if you want to stay there I won’t stop you. 🙂
There are many options you can choose from when you want to stay in Poblacion of San Vicente but here are 3 of my recommended affordable lodgings.
John Eric Inn
What I like about John Eric Inn is that it’s located at the heart of town and only about 150 meters from the public market and the port. They also have 24 hours electricity. But what I really love about John Eric Inn is the price, it’s only 300 Pesos per night per person for 3 pax.
|300 Pesos/room/night||Fan Room with private CR|
|+50 Pesos/pax/night||for extra pax exceeding 3 pax.|
Contact Number: 0912-253-5224
- They have electricity 24 hours.
- There’s an internet shop nearby. 30 Pesos/hour.
- There’s also a sari-sari stores nearby which is open from 6AM to 9PM.
Picardal Lodge is located in front of the market and their cheapest price is 400 Pesos/night/room when I went there.
You can know more about Picardal Lodge here.
|400 Pesos/night/room||Backpackers Room with private CR|
|600 Pesos/night/room||Fan Room with private CR|
- Very near the Public Market. Literally, in front of it.
- Has a restaurant nearby. Though I think it has its own restaurant.
Erica’s Guest House
Erica’s Guest House is not really in Poblacion but in Baranggay New Agutaya which is 30 Pesos away via habal-habal.
According to the people I’ve talked to this place is famous among foreign backpackers because it’s close to Long Beach and has cool temperature during the night. I also love the green plants all over the place.
|500 Pesos/room/night||Standard Room|
Contact Number: 0930-271-1011
- The lodging is located in Baranggay New Agutaya which is 30 Pesos away from Poblacion via Habal-habal.
- It has a green and environmental feeling to it.
- They have a restaurant but I do not know how much the prices are.
Here are other lodgings that can be located in the town proper of Poblacion, San Vicente, Palawan
- Basio’s Place
- Peace & Love Resort
- Alicia’s Pension Haus
- Station 5 Inn – 0919-652-6282
- Min Nah Hyun Lodge
- Nayarani Villas
- Bahay ni Kuya
All of the lodgings on the list are walking distance from the Public Market.
I’ll try to update the list to include more information about the lodgings when I go back there this June for their Malagnang (Mud) Festival.
- The electricity of Poblacion, San Vicente, Palawan is only from 8AM to 12MN.
- There are many canteens around Poblacion. The most we’ve eaten was inside the Public Market, Villanueva’s Canteen and Adam’s Canteen. Our budget was 60 Pesos per meal for the said canteens.
- Things to see in Poblacion, San Vicente are the Longest Beach in the Philippines, Ostrich Farm, Dairy Farm, Airport and Boayan Island
- If you want to know how to get to the Poblacion of San Vicente, Palawan click here.
This post is part of my 12 for 2012 Travel Project which aims to document places in the Philippines to help travellers.
Follow my San Vicente, Palawan Series
- My San Vicente, Palawan Expenses (Helpful)
- Longest Beach in the Philippines (Must See!)
- Dairy Farm and San Vicente Airport
- Daplac Cove in Boayan Island (Must See!)
- How to get to Poblacion, San Vicente, Palawan (Helpful)
- Where to Stay in Poblacion, San Vicente, Palawan (Helpful)
Port Barton Subseries